The History Department provides open advising with History Department faculty. You will be contacted by a History faculty member and can sign up to meet with them or you can come to open advising hours. Available advisors and advising hours will be posted on the History Department website and in the History Department.
For Advising in Fall 2022 email Dr. Constantine Vaporis (firstname.lastname@example.org), the Advising Coordinator, or Dr. Denise Meringolo, Acting Chair of History (email@example.com).
Note: If you have already established an advising relationship with a particular History professor, look out for their available advising times to see them during the advising weeks. If your schedules don’t align, you may contact them directly by email to set up an advising appointment. Otherwise, history majors can be advised by any History Department advisor available during the open advising hours.
Before heading to your advising appointment, please:
- Go to the Advising Center on your myUMBC webpage and check your degree audit to see what courses and requirements you have fulfilled.
- You should take Hist 201 [Introduction to History] in your first year at UMBC. Hist 201 is recommended before taking any 400-level courses and is a required prerequisite for the research capstone (Hist 496 or 497).
- Remember that History majors must take THREE 400-level elective History courses (not including the research capstone Hist 496/7).
- Download and fill in the History Department’s Requirements to Complete the History Major or Requirements to complete the History Minor form.
- Please bring this form with you to your advising session. This will ensure that you have a productive and timely meeting.